Requirements for Certification
- Proof of education requirements. The following methods are acceptable:
- Successful completion of a state‐approved Paramedic refresher course or
- 30 hours of continuing education that meets all requirements of the current National Component of the 2016 National Continued Competency Program within the past two years.
- The National Registry accepts State EMS Office approved and CAPCE accredited education, education from EMS education programs, and U.S. accredited academic credit or college course. All education must be directly related to EMS patient care.
- Successful completion of the National Registry Paramedic cognitive (knowledge) examination and psychomotor (skills) examination.
- Passed portions of the cognitive and psychomotor exam remain valid for 24 months provided all other eligibility requirements are met.
- Copy of a current state Paramedic license/certification
- Have a current CPR-BLS for "Healthcare Provider" or equivalent credential.
National Component - 30 HoursThe National Component requires Paramedics to complete 30 hours of approved continuing education.
Airway/Respiration/Ventilation - 3.5 hrs
Trauma - 3 hrs
- Trauma Triage
- Central Nervous System (CNS) Injury
- Hemorrhage Control
- Fluid Resuscitation
Medical - 8.5 hrs
- Special Healthcare Needs
- OB Emergencies
- Infectious Diseases
- Medication Delivery
- Pain Management
- Psychiatric and Behavioral Emergencies
- Toxicological Emergencies - Opioids
- Neurological Emergencies - Seizures
- Endocrine Emergencies - Diabetes
- Immunological Emergencies
Operations - 6.5 hrs
- At-Risk Populations
- Ambulance Safety
- Field Triage—Disasters/MCIs
- EMS Provider Hygiene, Safety, and Vaccine
- EMS Culture of Safety
- Pediatric Transport
- Crew Resource Management
- EMS Research
- Evidence Based Guidelines
Cardiovascular - 8.5 hrs
- Post-Resuscitation Care
- Ventricular Assist Devices
- Cardiac Arrest
- Pediatric Cardiac Arrest
- Congestive Heart Failure
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
Application ProcessFollow these easy steps to apply for a National Registry exam:
- Create your account/log in to your profile.
- Create an application - Select the Paramedic level. Verify your personal information and make any necessary changes. Then, follow the prompts through the application process.
- Pay the application fee. The application fee is non-transferable and non-refundable. This fee is charged for each attempt of the cognitive examination.
- Email your current state Paramedic license/certification and proof of education to email@example.com. Please include your application confirmation ID number.
- Monitor the progress of your application from your “Certification Application Status” in case additional actions are needed. Once the National Registry approves your application and your status is “Ready to Test,” you can view your ATT letter and contact Pearson Vue to schedule your exam.
If you successfully complete the national certification process between:
January 1 - June 30
July 1- December 31
Your initial certification date will be