- Successful completion of a state-approved Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) course that meets or exceeds the National Emergency Medical Services Education Standards for the Emergency Medical Technician.
- Candidates must have completed the course within the past two years and the course Program Director must verify successful course completion on the National Registry website.
- Have a current CPR-BLS for "Healthcare Provider" or equivalent credential.
- Successful completion of the National Registry EMT cognitive (knowledge) examination and a state approved psychomotor (skills) examination.
- Passed portions of the cognitive and psychomotor exam remain valid for 24 months provided all other eligibility requirements are met.
Application ProcessFollow these easy steps to apply for a National Registry exam:
- Create your account/log in to your profile.
- Create an application - Select the EMT level. Verify your personal information and make any necessary changes. Then, follow the prompts through the application process.
- Pay the application fee of $98.00 (US funds). The application fee is non-transferable and non- refundable. This fee is charged for each attempt of the cognitive examination.
- Monitor the progress of your application from your “Certification Application Status” in case additional actions are needed. Once the National Registry approves your application and your status is “Ready to Test,” you can view your ATT letter and contact Pearson Vue to schedule your exam.
If you successfully complete the national certification process between:
January 1-June 30
July 1-December 31
Your initial certification date will be September 30: